Sunday, July 13, 2008

Summer O' Fun

Late last night we returned from an amazing pioneer trek experience, just one of the several fun activities we have had this summer. Here are some highlights from our four big summer events! I'll try to make them short since Aaron just called our home phone from his cell in our bedroom wondering where I was. This blog thing is so fun, but a wee bit addicting.

The Trek
I have learned that I could probably do only some of the things those amazing pioneers accomplished. Pushing a handcart about 20 miles over three days through terrible sand, wind, and extreme heat took all of my faith. I have also learned that I would have probably died had conditions been what they really were. The hardest thing for me would be watching my friends and family suffer and even die. We are such a blessed people. The Spirit was so strong the during the entire trek. I could feel the faith of the pioneers each step we took. What an incredible experience. The amount of planning and prep it took to make the trek feel genuine was worth it. We traveled through a small "swamp", ferried across a river, and climbed a Rocky Ridge. We even experienced all our men being called to participate in the Mormon batalion. The women were left to pull the handcarts up a pretty big hill. It brought tears to my eyes and my heart swelled up with gratitude for my husband, the Relief Society sisterhood, the priesthood and the youth on the trek. I can't even explain the physical exhaustion, the great spirit, the remarkable stories, the talks from our leaders, and the beautiful music...it was a very touching week.

We were Ma and Pa to nine of the nicest teenagers in our stake. Our family name was The Trekkies (The Chosen Generation). Our license plate said GO N WARP SPEED. Our chant was Zion: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the handcart companies. Our mission--to the follow the Lord and create a new peaceful civilization, to boldly go where no man has gone before. Our family motto was Live Right and Prosper. The entire trek theme was taken from Mosiah... "Remember and perish not." What an incredible testimony building experience it was for myself and our youth.

The only thing I didn't like was walking around in our pioneer clothing on our way to and from the camp (hello Polygamists!) and the hot VERY stinky bus.

Fourth of July
This fourth of July was just like the good old days in San Bruno, CA (my home) because some of our closest friends traveled up for food, sun, boating, picnicking, and of course Matt Vranes' firework extravaganza. Nothing feels more like home than do fireworks hammered onto wood, seven layer taco dip, and a lot of laughter. Plus, it was so nice not being the dorky kid, but rather, the mother of two super cute kids and the wife of a really handsome man.

Island Park
After traveling 15 hours with a two-year and eight-month old in the car while watching 15 episodes of Dora (something I don't recommend) we arrived at a little piece of heaven, a vacation with the entire Nadauld clan. We stayed at Hodge Lodge on Bills Island. We played all day on the boats, survived death tube, went four wheeling, caught frogs (Actually, I didn't do that), built crazy dangerous bicycle ramps into the lake, floated down the river, saw Hello Dolly (mostly girls did that), had a tennis tournament, ate, laughed, and played. We also got to catch up on each others' lives and watch our children play together. Mary still dreams about her cousin, Daner-doo (Dane). She wakes up calling his name at night. We love spending time with our family. Thank you Margaret and Steve for making this happen... we can't wait until next June!

The Bahamas
This trip was by far the coolest vacation I have ever done in my life, actually that's not true--Europe and New York were pretty awesome too. While it was hard to leave our kids (mostly me, since I am SO emotionally attached) we were happy to have Grammy and Papa Steve come and watch them. They couldn't have been in better hands. It was a great trip because I got a full night of sleep for an entire week and I felt like a newlywed again. It was almost like we went back in time. Plus, hanging out with my brothers and their wives for a week couldn't have been more entertaining. We went to Universal studios and Epcot Center in Florida and carnival cruised to the Bahamas for swimming, scooter rides, shopping, and a lot of good food.

2 comments:

The deVilleneuves said...

The trek entry is a great one! I'm thankful for all those organizations, too, and the ease of life we have. I love your trek themes and mottos and stuff. Very clever.

Thank you for sacrificing the time to do that, and then going. I'm sure it wasn't easy. I am also very sure the youth you lead will remember you all their lives, and that great experience!

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

What a busy summer, I'm glad I could be with you on 1/2 of that stuff, you really made the Trek for the kids in your family. . .you are such great parents! xox, S