Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Allison is the best, Here's why...... posted by Aaron


So as many of you know I decided to take the kids on a little adventure for the weekend to see Grammy and Papa-Steve in St. George. I thought this would be a fun weekend to get away and we could spend some time with the grandparents, swim, go the football game, participate in the Dixie run etc. Let me tell you what I learned while on my "vacation."

Top 5 reasons why Allison is the Mom and "in charge" of the kids.

1. I knew full well I was going to have to buy some diapers upon arrival in St. George, but of course I tried to do everything possible to make the small supply in the diaper bag last all weekend. It was a huge success until I made it home Monday afternoon when Allison asked why Noah's bum was red. I of course had no response.

2. I had a very hard time figuring out what to feed the kids. It seems like they were always needing something to eat. All I could find was some bread. I wasn't about to make something and actually breaking out the baby food and finding a baby spoon was just too much work. I am amazed at how Allison keeps us all fed and happy.

3. I am not sure how to get ready when the kids cry when you leave the room. In order to take a shower we had the whole family in the bathroom. I would peek from behind the shower curtain to see Mary flushing one of Noah's toys down the toilet or to see Noah trying to dive into the bathtub. Allison seems to get ready everyday no problem, I need to get some advice for my next adventure.

4. Swimming with two kids that don't know how to swim was a challenge. Mary wanted to constantly jump to daddy and Noah wanted to crawl into the hot tub which felt like a few hundred yards away. When I would run to save Noah from diving to his death Mary would be getting into her diving position with her little arms over her head. As soon as I would save Noah I was back to the pool to save the next drowning child. I guess that is why they invented floatation devices, but only Allison would be smart enough and prepared enough to use a floatie.

5. Candy!!! Need I say more. when I came home both Allison and I agreed that Mary really needed to brush her teeth. I used candy a lot last weekend to bribe Mary into sleeping, sitting still, putting on her seat belt on the plane, being quiet in church etc. Brushing her teeth was too much of a chore and I figured I would be home in a few days anyway.

As you can tell this was an eye opening experience. I feel like I am a hands on father, but I think I might be kidding myself. I admire how Allison is able to get it all done in a day. At the end of the day I couldn't even get out of my clothes to go to bed, I would just lay down fully dressed and before I knew it Noah was crying to get out of bed at 7:00 AM.

Allison, thanks for being such a great mommy. We love you!!!

17 comments:

Sandra said...

Aaron, I had to laugh when I read your comments, but I think most fathers would agree with you. Kudos to you for taking the kids by yourself, though! Hopefully you had fun!!

Jen said...

ha ha ha ha! I will for sure NOT let Bob read this one. I'm trying to talk him into taking the kids for a weekend! I was just reminded that he had the girls for 5 whole days while I was basking in the sun in Mexico! Crap, I thought he would have forgotten that by now!

Ryan and Mistie said...

Hey Aaron - don't sell yourself cheap! Not too many dads would tackle what you have. You all made it home - you all are still breathing - and they'll catch up on the regular food, sleep, and teeth-brushing stuff! But hey, if you figure out that whole feeding an 11 month old (Allison, too!) send me your tips.

Emilee said...

Aaron thanks for the good laugh! You ARE pretty hands on, I'm sure, you just got a taste of what it's like to have kiddos for a full time job. I think the look on your face in the first picture is worth a thousand words!

Jocee Bergeson said...

So funny, Aaron. I definitely need my husband to read this post. He has NO clue...he needs a weekend w/ Sage & Drew. It would defintely be an eye opener for him. :)

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

I really liked how their diet was bread and candy all weekend. . .followed by lots of pool water to wash it all down. . . No wonder Noah has a burned butt. You made me laugh out loud (LOL) You're a great dad and I just pray that Allison never dies before you.

allison nadauld said...

This is Allison... This post is way too nice. I don't get ready everyday like he says and I struggle with what to make for dinner all the time. I have also used bribes on several occasions. Aaron is just too modest. He did a wonderful job. The kids have been wanting "My Daddy" all day! But this seriously made me LOL, which is my favorite thing to do! Thanks and love you!

Lana said...

what a sweet post.

bread and candy? yumm-o!

Christine said...

Aaron...I LOVE that you posted! What a darling little tribut to your totally PERFECT wife! WE all wish we could be as good a mother as Auntie Allison! Seriously..just ask Jared...it gives me anxiety sometimes when I think about how much she does for you and the kids. If only i could get dinner on the table EVER! And yes..Marcus would have her as his own if he could! Thanks again for taking him today...you really are the best!

utmommy said...

Aaron you are too funny! I'm impressed that you even took them by yourself. That's pretty impressive.

One weekend of bread and candy can't be that bad, right?

lindsay said...

Mary and Noah have definitely won the Ovarian lottery! I really am totally blown away that Aaron would be so sweet to take the kids like that! Score for Allison having a quiet weekend at home! Aaron you really are in the top 99th Percentile of great dads. And Allison is more patient, kind, and smart than Mary Poppins!
We're looking forward to christmas. We hope you'll be coming to SLC.

Zach and Katie Hillstead said...

I am laughing out loud about the showering part. I am STILL trying to figure this out, and I have one baby, and I am the mom.

Bart and Krista said...

Your post is cracking me up. I love the "flushing the toys down the toilet" part. So funny. Uhm.. we miss you guys so much!

Unknown said...

I'm laughing hard here. This is so good. Can I have candy, too, to buckle up? I'm glad you appreciate being married to Wonder Woman. It's nice, isn't it? ;)

Anonymous said...

You're both the best.

Love you guys!

AnnDee said...

So -- I have been totally out of the blog world -- but I just caught up on all the Aar and Alli happenings. I will be an avid (sp?) reader from now on. I was very impressed Aaron took the kids by himself on the plane -- Taylor would have NEVER done that! You are such a good mommy though. I realized that at the reunion this summer more than ever. You have unlimited patience! Your kids are so dang cute! I posted a couple cute ones of Ya on my blog about the reunion (ps -- your name is spelled wrong there because something happened when I was publishing my post and now as I was proofreading I realized it and I can't change anything now. The post is a massive amount of pictures so I could delete the post to correct the many errors I made -- so just know that I know how to spell your name!! :))

Keep on blogging! It is such a great way to see my cute niece and nephew grow big. BTW -- poor Noah and all his sicknesses, at least the roseola one wasn't too bad. Luke had it at that age too. It's pretty sad.

Love you guys!

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

OK, Aaron, just because you posted once 100 year ago doesn't mean you can just keep leaving us all hanging. Now Allison won't post either. Don't leave us hangin'