Friday, November 21, 2008

Happy Birthday Margaret!

This is a picture of my beauty queen mother-in-law Margaret D. Nadauld. Isn't she so lovely? She certainly isn't lacking in the looks department. I stole this picture from a family friend's yearbook a few years back. It reminds me of all the things I love about her.



When I first met Margaret I was a little star-struck. It was about six years ago at this time that she hosted an entire Thanksgiving feast for our BYU singles ward. I was dying to meet "Aaron's Mom", who was just released from her calling as general young women's president. Her conference talks always had a huge impact on me.

I really don't believe that there are many people who enjoy their mother-in-law like I do. Margaret is always sweet, complimentary and loving. She is considerate, generous, uplifting, talented and I value her opinion very much. Margaret is a very Christ-like person making it so easy to love and adore her.


I've also learned a lot about her since I've become a part of the family. Here are a few that I want to share:
1. I love how much Margaret enjoys being together, talking, and LAUGHING. I guess being the mother of seven boys has its advantages...they always keep you in stitches (especially these boys) and make a joke out of any funny thing you do.

2. Margaret can make anything beautiful in seconds. She can whip out a meal to feed the masses, vacuum the floor with perfect lines, present a batch of homemade cookies, and play a piano concerto with such ease.

3. Since I've had kids that don't sleep regularly, I've noticed some unusual nighttime patterns in the Nadauld home. Margaret usually awakens in the middle of the night to read. She is always feeding her mind--and I love that. On many nighttime occasions she has helped me with my fussy kids and we chat together. She is a great listener.

4. Margaret is fast at getting things done (something I hope to get better at). I am so impressed with how efficient she is. I know where Aaron gets this amazing trait from now. We went shopping once last Christmas and I had to secretly run in my silly high heels just to keep up. I'm bringing my tennis shoes this year.

5. Margaret is so good with the grandkids and they just love her. She is so sweet when she talks and asks them lots of questions. She is always encouraging and loving.

6. Of course, the biggest thing that I love about my mother-in-law is that she was such a good mother to my Aaron (or her Aaron..our Aaron). She taught him well. He honors his priesthood, treats me with such respect, and knows how to work. Her legacy of love, devotion, and testimony is visible in all of her children and grandchildren.



In this family, we call her name blessed...on this special day and everyday. So, Margaret...let's go shopping (with the girls) and watch a little Sabrina during Christmas to celebrate you!

Hey Nadauld clan (and anyone else that reads this)..it might be nice to all write in a fun memory you have about Margaret. I'm sure that making her laugh would be a welcomed birthday gift.

10 comments:

AnnDee said...

How fun to read through this tribute. I definitely agree -- it's so wonderful to have such a great mother-in-law!

My favorite attribute is how she laughs with "the brothers" (AKA her 7 sons). They love and respect her beyond words -- but really get a kick out of getting her to laugh.

One thing I love is that at the end of every dinner, the boys will sneakily pass all the food to be right around Margaret's plate so it looks like she has eaten everything on the table. Good thing she's so trim, or she really might get offended by this! :) She NEVER catches on, or atleast she lets them believe she's not on to them before everything is on one end of the table next to her -- we all get a good laugh!

Oh, I also really like her enthusiam about German Pancakes as soon as they RISE in the oven. We try to duplicate it in our house each time we make them!!

Jake says he likes you and he loves you and he likes that when he is lying on the ground and you are in a comfy chair and you play Rolly Polly with him!

Luke loves kisses from Grammie.

WE all love you Mom/Margaret -- Taylor and Fam!

Lana said...

Happy Birthday! How wonderful to have such a close relationship and two awesome grandmas for your cuties!

Emilee said...

I remember that Thanksgiving feast we organized oh so well! You obviously impressed 'Aaron's mom', because look where you are today! I love your new family pictures on the right- the vintage look is so stylish!

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Allison, this is so sweet. I have to second everything you said. We are here at the Nadauld's home in St. George (THANK YOU, Birthday Girl!) and it is just so lovely and comfortable. Sis N didn't know we were coming, left to her other home and invited us AFTER she'd already gone, but the house is clean and perfect. She really is inspirational and enjoyable and gracious and generous. Thank you Sister Nadauld for raising one of my favorite brothers of all time. Aaron is a chip off the old block! Sarah Idiart and family

Christine said...

I am so happy to get a chance to wish the beautiful beauty queen a Happy Birthday and sing praises to a wonderful woman. Being from Bountiful I have known of the Nadaulds for some time now-they were the talk of the town those good-lookin' boys! And what an incredibly strong Strippling Warrior mother Sis. Nadauld was to them all. She was the spiritual leader for the entire church when I was a youth and no doubt an amazing leader in her own home. I have always been so taken by her beauty, poise, dignigity and grace. She is so lady-like and classy and her love of music and the gospel remind me so much of my own mother. Although I have only met with Sis. Nadauld a few times I will always remember the impression she left-that of a truly 'Elect Lady'. I love her quote from the last Visiting Teaching message in Oct, "...we need less women who are course and more who are kind...less fame and fortune and more woman of faith..." and she herself is a perfect portrayal of those qualities. Not only that but she also makes an incredilbly elegant raspberry jello mold that we all enjoyed last November! Thanks Maggie D...can I call you that? Sorry-I just think its so cute how Aaron refers to you. And just so you know I have never met a boy who loves his mamma as much as Aaron does! I think its the sweetest thing how you two talk on the phone a couple times a week!What an endearing relationship for the both of you. Well in closing I want to wish you a very happy day today and although you can't be with your youngest little sweetheart and family we sure do love having them close to us! What an incredible mother Allison is to those 2 grandkids of yours...they will truly arise up and bless her name as well as yours. So take care and know that the Idiart clan sure loves you guys. Sincerely, Christine (Gardner) Idiart

Christine said...

p.s. In addition to the amazing jello mold I failed to mention the most delicious and divine homemade rolls you made for the baby blessings as well! (just like my moms!) So you can add great cook to that long list of wonderful qualities too.

Christine said...

p.p.s. Ok I promise this is the last one...I just couldn't resist the chance to say that Aaron is keeping the vacumming tradition alive...there isn't a time when I've come over and not seen thier carpet looking immaculate with the most perfectly straight lines to match his perfectly straight lawn...now we know where he gets it! I love it...what a well-kept boy you trained!

Rebecca said...

I couldn't agree more Allison and AC! That was so sweet of you to think of doing this Allison. One thing I have always admired in Margaret is that she never takes herself too seriously. Maybe it comes from having 7 boys teasing you all the time, but she is such a great sport and always joins in. I really look to that example and try to be better about that. What a great tone to set in your family. For sharing time, Kate had to pick something that started with H. Immediately she lit up and said "I'm going to share my Grandma Harries!" And told her class about how her Grandma does "Harries" to her with her scary and tickly fingers. She talks frequently about sneaking into Grandma's bedroom at night so she "can sleep better." We made German pancakes for the first time the other Sunday morning and James went to the oven to imitate Margaret screaming about the rise and fall of the eggs...only after a second of screaming and running around the oven did he stop and to his dismay announced, "oh. That really didn't work out the way it does for my mom." Apparently his eggs didn't have the same rise and fall! Charlie frequently requests Toast using Grandma N.'s recipe after James told him he could never duplicate her toast, it was always so much better than his. What great memories you have passed down Margaret! From Birdies nests to the shaking hand-we continue your traditions and enjoy much laughter with you! Thanks for being a wonderful Mother-in-law!
Love, Rebecca, James and kids! xoxo

allison nadauld said...

The following comment is from Susan:
I love how she can laugh at herself. No matter how many times the boys make fun of her, she can laugh at herself because she is confident enough to know when something is funny.
She loves everyone the same. When she is with your kids she makes them feel like they are the greatest kids in the world. We know she loves all of them the same and it is so nice to feel the love she has for everyone. You never feel like she has a "favorite."

utmommy said...

She sounds amazing. How lucky to have such a wonderful person in your life.