Monday, June 23, 2014

Follow the Prophet

Today the leader of the Ordain Women's group was excommunicated. It's a sad day. Not because I align myself in any way with her beliefs or ideas but because I feel a sadness for her decisions and for her pain.

I have debated sharing my beliefs on facebook or commenting on friends' posts, as I have in other similar issues such as gay marriage. But I refrain, not because I am ashamed, but because arguing with the world is a losing battle. I've read this feminist movement's arguments and I've read some commentary for and against them. I could sit here and debate their requests for what they see as equality or inequality. But in the end, what it all boils down to is that fact that I believe this is God's church, not man's. I believe that we have a prophet who receives revelation for our church. And I believe that the source of our doctrine is God.

It is just that plain and simple.

I thought the Bishop's letter to Kate Kelly was beautiful. I hope she can see that all of this was not an act of damnation, but an act of love and hope, the great hope of Christ's atonement. I hope that this excommunication brings some clarity for others as well.

I believe Satan is desperately trying to deceive us, even the very elect. I think this movement is full of his lies mixed with truths, his great handiwork. None of us are exempt from his fiery darts. We all need to strengthen and protect our testimonies each day and fill our lives with the Spirit...it will keep us humble, it will keep us teachable, and it will keep our hearts close to truth.

I worry all the time for you my children and grandchildren and great grandchildren. I cannot completely shelter you from this world. But I will sure try and remind you of the safety that comes from following the prophet. We are so blessed to have him and all our leaders.

This quote from Sister Oscarson, shared today I think as a result of this experience, left me with something important to remember:

"All of us as sisters in the gospel have the responsibility and privilege to support and nourish one another. We have all committed to be disciples of Jesus Christ, and this discipleship should be at the heart of all that we do. Each of us is in a different place in our spiritual journey. Some may struggle with testimony. Some have questions or wrestle with the pressures and trials of life. Those who are struggling for whatever reason should be able to find within our sisterhood a spirit of warmth, inclusion and love.
“Occasionally, some of our brothers and sisters may find themselves away from the fold because of personal choices. Without condoning those choices, it is important to remember the Savior’s message of leaving the ninety and nine safely in the fold and reaching out with love, with kindness and with compassion to the one. We can demonstrate that compassion by ensuring that our communications with one another are respectful and kind."
On a much happier note I got a lot of church calling work done today as well as housework and grocery shopping. I don't love grocery shopping (by the way). Mary started a soccer camp this week and Noah spent the morning playing so sweetly with the younger kids. I really love having them home.The check-out lady at the grocery store called over two other employees to have them come see Cameron's eyelashes today. I'm telling you, those things get some attention. I also took a picture of Nicole eating some Oreo cookies, or should I say just the middles of them. Totally random day recap. It was a good one.


0 comments: