Monday, May 11, 2015

The Key to Unlocking your Child's Heart

I believe my mother is so loved by children because she not only has wonderful answers stored in her mind for any question a child (or adult child, like myself) may ask, but she also has a million questions that help her understand the heart of every child. She usually says, "Want to play questions?" and what will follow is a series of thoughtful, fun and sometimes silly questions and answers.
I love it when someone asks me a thoughtful question because it shows that he/she cares to try and get to know me and it gives me the opportunity to explore myself in ways I may not have otherwise. I want to explore and understand my children's hearts and minds. Questions and active listening are the keys that unlock what lives in their hearts. 
At activity days last week Mary came home with a jar full of questions you can ask your children. We use it around the dining table. I'm so surprised by their great answers and I feel like I unlock rooms in the corridor of their hearts that often I never knew existed.
Today we pulled the question, "Who do you admire?" Noah thought for a  moment and responded, "Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and Ashton". How tender and sweet. He then explained why and I learned that in his heart is a great desire to be good and loving young man. Then Cameron's answer, which was the same as his big brother's showed me how much he cares for Noah and wants to follow his example. 
The Key Jar

0 comments: