Wednesday, July 10, 2013

"Be of good cheer, and do not fear"

Ever since our deafening fire alarms went off in the middle of the night the other day (for no real reason) Mary has been afraid....afraid of every sound and noise day or night. Our fire alarms are all hard wired and it has happened before where they randomly go off, usually between 1 and 4 am. So weird. Typically Mary sleeps through them, which just blows my mind since they are everywhere and so loud.

I know we all experience some kind of fear as a child. I was afraid of the Nielsen's dog because I heard it bit a girl's face? Not sure on that fact, that's what I remember anyway. I was scared of the shadows on my walls at night, talking to strangers, seeing or touching spiders, snakes, bees, etc. (I am still afraid of some of those creepy crawlies...maybe not as much...but still afraid).

My sensitive Mary's fears worry her and weigh on her mind. She has been scared with anything earring related, any movies where the parents are separated from their children (like finding Nemo or Tangled), and any strange noises. Despite our best efforts to calm her, reassure her, and teach her about prayer it seems that her fears are getting worse.

So, the other night I looked on the church website for some ideas. There was a darling Friend article that I saw. I copied it and printed it for Mary. We talked about it and she was excited. She told me this morning that she tried one of the ideas and it worked. I was so glad. She decided to take my printed sheet and make a shortened version today that she could carry around with her.

(The breathe part is to imagine smelling a warm brownie and blowing through a straw)

Here was the Friend article:
(I added number 5 for obvious reasons)  



Have you ever felt afraid of storms, fires, dogs, or imaginary monsters? Or have you ever worried that something bad might happen? You’re not alone! Everyone feels scared sometimes. The next time you do, here are some things to try.

  1. Sing a song. A Primary song like “My Heavenly Father Loves Me”. It can help you remember that Heavenly Father always watches over you. You can also make up a silly song about the thing you’re afraid of. For example, instead of singing “Rain, rain, go away,” sing, “Thunder, thunder, go away.”
  1.  Try this breathing exercise to help you relax:
    • Pretend you’re smelling something delicious, and take a deep breath through your nose.
    • Pretend you’re blowing through a straw, and breathe out gently through your mouth.
    • Repeat the first two steps for a few minutes, until you feel yourself relaxing.
  1. Choose a different ending. Having a scary thought is kind of like thinking about a story with a bad ending. For example, if you are feeling afraid of dogs, you may be telling yourself a story where the dog bites you. Try making up a different ending for the story: “I saw my neighbor’s dog. I wanted to run away, but instead I walked calmly by. Instead of biting me, the dog wagged his tail.” Then draw a picture of the happy ending.
  1. Change the channel. Imagine that your mind is like a TV. If you’re having scary thoughts, say out loud, “I’m going to change the channel.” Then start thinking about a fun or happy time you’ve had. If it was a birthday party, think about what the cake looked and tasted like, what color the wrapping paper on your favorite gift was, and what games you played. 
  1. Say a prayer. Remember you are not alone. Reread this scripture: “Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you” (D&C 68:6). Try to imagine God with you and that you are strong and courageous.

1 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is very sweet. What a good mama and what a sweet girl. xoxo