Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April Fools Dinner

Today I thought it would be a good idea to try out a little joke on the kids at dinner. Yesterday they kept trying to pull tricks on me saying, "April Fools!" Plus, I needed to make up for my complete lack of a St. Patrick's Day celebration. I think that teacher inside of me always feels the need to make holidays interesting.

It took me a little while to complete the meatloaf mashed potato cupcakes sprinkled with red peppers. It was the first time I made meatloaf. Just before Aaron arrived I set the table with the "cupcakes" and juice, the kids were very confused. When I said "April Fools!" they believe we were eating plain sugar for our meal.

But the real joke wasn't realized until they took a sip of the juice and nothing came out. Cameron, our juice lover, went straight for the straw and after a couple attempts said, "It not working!" "Jell-o!", they responded. Then Mary grabbed a cupcake and inspecting carefully saw that it was mashed potatoes! Earlier when I placed the meal on the table she reminded me that she didn't like frosting. They did seem real. The kids ended up liking the meatloaf when Aaron pulled out the ketchup.

I'm going to have to find something new on pinterest for next year.

Happy April Fools Day!





0 comments: