Friday, May 24, 2013

Cameron the Escapee

The other morning while getting Mary's school lunch packed I saw two big eyes with long lashes peek up over the stairway ledge. Was it Cameron? Had someone helped him out? No, I counted three little ducks all in a row watching a cartoon on the couch. He had climbed out of his crib on his own!

On a typical morning I would wait to hear Cameron call for me to get him out. I knew it was only a matter of time before he'd figure out that he could climb in and out on his own. This new revelation brought him a sense of independence and excitement. There was no turning back now. Since that morning he has trailed his way downstairs, blanket and bottle in hand at his usual time, making it rather delightful and even convenient.

That is until today, when he realized, Hey, I can do this for naptime too! I laid him down for a nap closed the door and went to fold some laundry when I heard the bedroom door open and pitter-patter footstep steps down hall. "Cameron," I called. "Yes", he replied. "Go back to bed". "OK". He raced back to his room, closed the door and snuggled back in. I know this because I went in and checked. He smiled and I left thinking there was a very good chance this might just happen again. Three more times of the same scenario until Nicole told him to stay in his room and he decided to listen to her for some reason.

He slept for two hours.

And when his nap was over, he came out on his own.

0 comments: