Wednesday, May 15, 2013

More Holiness Give Me

I have been reading a book by Sister Wendy Nelson that my mother-in-law gave me for mother's day. It is entitled, What Would A Holy Woman Do? In it she offers a challenge to think of ways, just one small way each day, in fact that you can improve by asking yourself the question What would a holy woman do?

So, I started this on Monday. I kept thinking about this question through out the day and what I found was was no surprise. I have a lot of things I need to fix. I could spend every second of every day improving. I spent the morning avoiding using the computer entirely and I snuggled with the kids one by one on the love sac. It was small, but I knew a holy woman wouldn't spent too much time looking at this and reading that on the computer when there are far more important tasks and people to give my attention to.

Then yesterday, when the kids were in bed and I looked at the huge pile of socks I needed to pair together. I thought How would a holy woman handle this? And I just got it done. I didn't procrastinate this chore that drives me nuts. And it was fun doing it while Aaron and I chatted and watched a television show. A holy woman would try to be organized and would know that putting off and worrying about finishing mundane tasks expends more energy than just getting to work.

Today, the end of her three day challenge, I decided I would try not to complain too much. I avoiding whining about my allergies. I avoiding complaining about my church calling and I noticed how much happier I was. I think a holy woman would know that there is wisdom in controlling your tongue.

I haven't read the rest of the book, but I was excited to ponder a little more on what the Spirit is prompting me to improve on. I believe these three simple changes made me more patient and loving and the best part of it all was that it didn't feel too overwhelming. I know that trying to be a holier woman will bless me and my family.



1 comments:

Tiffany said...

What a great reminder! I think I need to borrow that book when you are done. And in my opinion you are already one of the most holy women I know!