Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mothers

Every Mother's Day I think of all the many incredible women that have helped love and care for me, inspired and directed me, and influenced my life for good.

I also think of my grandmother who is no longer here with us. I really have no memory of my grandmother since she passed when I was only two years old. I am curious to know her. I am now at about the same stage in parenthood that my mother was when she died. All that I have heard of my grandmother is how kind, humble, strong, and hard working she was. I know that she has passed down these traits to my mother and in a sense I know my grandmother through my mom. And I have a feeling I would really love her.

My mom speaks of their relationship and I imagine it to be a lot like my mom and I. My mom would do anything for me and I her. I love to be with her and I am so impressed with all she can do and sacrifices for others. She is strong, loving, and so full of faith and wisdom. I look to her all the time, especially now that I am trying desperately to be a good mother.

I recall in high school a very influential English teacher who impressed to the boys in the class that if they wanted to know who to marry, look at her mother. Of course this is not true in every instance, but I think there was some great wisdom in his words. I remember one boy that had been in my classes since kindergarten turned to me and said, "Well, then whoever marries Allison is one lucky guy."

I am so grateful for this day when we can think on all the women who are full of charity and integrity, who have helped us know of our infinite worth and shown us how to draw closer to God. I am even more grateful that I was raised with such an extraordinary one by my side.

Happy Mother's Day to my blessed earthly Mother!
I love you forever!
xo
Daughter



0 comments: