Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Good, Better, Best

I decided to reread a talk today by Elder Oaks Good, Better, Best. It is one that I think of often, and for good reason---it's all about how to prioritize our lives and activities (especially regarding the scheduling of our children). The last few weeks have been very busy and I am happy to see a sweet lull in the home. I loved reading with Noah today and sitting back with the kids to watch the pavement get poured. It really is a balancing act and a conscious decision to choose what is best first.

I read this quote that has made me rethink how I serve in my calling. It's something I think I needed to hear, and is making me reevaluate the last few busy weeks and my motives.

"In general conference last year, Elder M. Russell Ballard warned against the deterioration of family relationships that can result when we spend excess time on ineffective activities that yield little spiritual sustenance. He cautioned against complicating our Church service “with needless frills and embellishments that occupy too much time, cost too much money, and sap too much energy. … The instruction to magnify our callings is not a command to embellish and complicate them. To innovate does not necessarily mean to expand; very often it means to simplify. … What is most important in our Church responsibilities,” he said, “is not the statistics that are reported or the meetings that are held but whether or not individual people—ministered to one at a time just as the Savior did—have been lifted and encouraged and ultimately changed.”

During our stake training one of the ward leaders presented a personal story about the time her daughter was about to be baptized. This woman had spent hours preparing the perfect white outfit, beautiful invitations, a flawless program and delicate white frosted white cupcakes for her soon-to-be-baptized daughter. At the same time her husband had been preparing...preparing that his daughter would feel the Holy Ghost when he laid his hands on her head and gave her this special gift. His hours of preparation were spent fasting and praying and spiritually preparing for his soon-to-be-baptized daughter that she might feel the Holy Ghost on that special day and remember the covenant she was making. This experience reminds me of Mary and Martha when Mary "chose the better part" to learn from the Savior. At the training this woman shared that her husband had essentially chosen the better (or best) part. 

It's a lot to think about. I feel humbled. And that's a good thing.

Here is a picture of this machine that lifts it's wheel high up in the air and zips around carrying the asphalt. It was fascinating. I thought for sure it would tip over when the suspended wheels went so high. If it can stay balanced...so can I!:0)


0 comments: