Monday, March 18, 2013

Optimism

Today was a rough day merely because I didn't feel great, I had a long check list of things to do, and for some reason the children could not stop fighting. Sometimes I look back at my blog posts and think, my life must look abnormal..life always running so smoothly. But then I think more on this subject and I seem to gain a little perspective.

Yes, parenting can be difficult. I feel like I never know quite what to say when the kids have had an argument or a child is throwing a little fit. I pull up my sleeves, keep a prayer in my heart, and just get in there. Often I say the wrong things or I lose my temper and then I feel terrible. But I try to fix it, think about all I have learned and studied, search for the Spirit, and hope that I will someday become better.

And even though it was a little rough earlier, each day always seems to bring with it some light and love. Today after a deliberate injury and a little clarity I stopped practicing piano with Mary, put the dinner plans on hold and we just worked. We worked together. We cleaned, we helped, and it cured it all. 

Here is a picture of the kids' hard work. I asked them to go make my bed (which they destroyed earlier in all their rambunctious play). The bedding is all backwards and untucked, but they communicated well and developed a strategy. They accomplished it together. They served another person, me! And the love came shining back in the home.

I realize I have a life of luxury. I know many have some real hard and difficult trials in this life---health, abuse, neglect, poverty, loneliness, and depression.... Reflecting on that makes me realize just how full my glass is.


2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Sorry you had a rough day! Wish I would have been inspired to help you. Some days are rough. . .I have them often. Grateful to learn from you how to put it all in perspective. You are an amazing mother. . .

Dianna said...

What was it about yesterday? It was rough around here too. Your post reminded me of a quote I saw on pinterest that says, 'Behind every great kid is a mom who's pretty sure she's screwing it up.' You're one awesome mama Allison, even when it doesn't feel like it. :-)