Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Nice Race

We woke up in our comfortable bed in the Pebet's gorgeous home this morning ready to get some exercise in the Bay Area's fabulous climate. We headed to the trail by the reservoir and walked. It was beautiful and refreshing. I showed the kids how to whistle using the little Eucalyptus nuts on the ground. It was glorious.

After that, we headed to Palo Alto to spend the day with Lincoln and Lindsay's family and celebrate William's special day. It was a beautiful baptism. Lindsay, of course, had a huge delicious spread for the whole family beforehand and we enjoyed chatting together while the kids played outside. We got to see Aaron's parents who flew in and James and Rebecca's family who drove from the East Bay. Margaret bought the kids little Easter wind up chickies, which they loved. Whenever you get the Nadaulds together there is always an abundance of laughter, today was no exception.

I was so impressed as William played the piano while Argula Ble, the other girl being baptized, sang with her friends. Steve gave a wonderful talk on both baptism and confirmation. I thought it was nice to combine them together. He compared our life journey to running in the nice race. I thought it was brilliant the way he helped these two young new members understand their covenant in a simpler way. If we are nice, then we are keeping the commandments. If we aren't we figure out how to be nice again and continue running on the race. There is only one perfect nice racer, Jesus Christ. He, along with their new companion, the Holy Ghost can help us on our nice race. It was a wonderful message.

Then we enjoyed a full authentic African meal. It was delicious. The little girl's part member family was originally from the Congo. They were amazing and it was fun seeing people from different parts of the world. I had to stop Nicole from petting the little black girl's hair sitting in front of me, which goes to show how many black people she has met.

Lindsay invited several nonmembers to the baptism. She had invited one lady to come who told Lindsay that she thought Mormons were only white. I find people's perception of us so interesting.

I hope that however I come in contact with people, whether they are members or not, whether they are from my past, my present, or my future, that I will remember to be nice. Because that will have the greatest impact on them wanting to join the race.

And. It really is that simple.


0 comments: