Thursday, April 18, 2013

Peace

The senseless Boston Marathon bombing and the political frustration of the local school board's hiring of a new principal who is undergoing an investigation for not properly protecting students from a teacher accused of child abuse make me feel a little uneasy. Politics, terrorism, and the corruption in our world leave me with a pit in my stomach. I find solace in my Savior and in the walls of my home. I read something in this month's Ensign today that brought some peace to my soul.

The gift of peace doesn’t mean all our problems and challenges will dissolve according to a timeline we set. But we can have peace amidst trials. President Howard W. Hunter (1907–95) said:

“Indifference to the Savior or failure to keep the commandments of God brings about insecurity, inner turmoil, and contention. These are the opposite of peace. Peace can come to an individual only by an unconditional surrender—surrender to him who is the Prince of Peace, who has power to confer peace. One may live in beautiful and peaceful surroundings but, because of inner dissension and discord, be in a state of constant turmoil. On the other hand, one may be in the midst of utter destruction and the bloodshed of war and yet have the serenity of unspeakable peace. If we look to man and the ways of the world, we will find turmoil and confusion. If we will but turn to God, we will find peace for the restless soul.”

Beautiful.


0 comments: