Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Switcheroo

In October Mary got her ears pierced (picture below). She asked to get them done. So Nina and I took her to the mall and Mary got really nervous, but she survived the process and came home with darling earrings. (I also pretended to be Nina's mom so I could get her ears re-pierced since they had closed up...I figured Sarah wouldn't mind. But that's another story). Until Christmas we were to clean and twist the earrings three times a day. Then after Christmas she could change them out, but had to make sure to wear them all the time for the following year so the holes wouldn't close up. In anticipation she got some cute earrings in her stocking. However the thought of changing them was too scary and Mary stuck with her original pair. We didn't push it.

As soccer season approached Mary was hesitant about playing. With a little more probing we learned that she was worried about having to take out her earrings for games. We told her we'd cross that bridge when it came time and we tried in little ways to change her mind reassuring her that it would all be okay.

Mary's first soccer game was today. Mary decided we would try and tape her ears, but Aaron and I knew that wouldn't be easy either, so while she was sleeping I snuck into her bed last night and took them out. She woke up. Ate breakfast. And didn't even notice they were missing. I started to tell her that her dad and I decided it would be smart to take them out. She then realized what we had done and felt so ecstatic and relieved.

I knew getting them back in would be a little more difficult and hard to do while she slept, so while Aaron was at Priesthood I talked her through it. She was very scared and refused to let me to do any of it. She felt more comfortable doing it herself. So, we said a few prayers (very sweet), we practiced some breathing, and she twisted and bit her blanket for comfort through the tears. She was scared. After a good 15 minutes she tried and she did it...on the first attempt. She was so happy. But the second earring didn't go so smoothly. After a good half hour of trying everything I could think of I finally told her she had to let me do it. My patience was gone. It became what I like to call, "not my best parenting moment". Reluctantly she gave me the earring and I slipped it right in. It ended up being a very sweet and tender experience on both ends.

So next week she has another game. I am to sneak in to her room again the night before and remove the earrings while she sleeps and she is going to let me put them back in after the game. I am sure the next one will be a lot easier. I just keep reminding her that it didn't hurt, that she is so brave, that the new earrings look beautiful, and that she can do hard and scary things with a little faith and a little trust. And more than anything I remind her that I love her and so does her Heavenly Father and that she can call on Him through His Son for help.

I also learned that I should have either got her ears pierced when she was a baby or I should have just waited until she was older. Lessons learned.



Mary rocked at her soccer game today, by the way. And a happy birthday to our awesome Ben. Love you buddy!

0 comments: