Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Job Well Done

Mary gave her oral report today on her newest Nadauld cousin. Everything went splendidly well. She was careful to look up from her cue cards, speak clearly, and use her pointer stick (with Kirabo's picture on it). The class thought her topic was so interesting and they kept asking when she is going to meet him. Hmmm. Good question. We are so anxious to know Kirabo. I think a road trip is in order!



The only thing that didn't go super great was the baking of the sim-sim cookies. I found the recipe on the internet. I spent hours last night just trying to get the dry sugar to liquify with the sesame seeds. I tasted so many little pieces, many of which failed miserably, that I went to bed with a bad taste in my mouth. At least they looked cute with their little happy birthday tag (It was her teacher's birthday today).



Rebecca had told me that Ugandan's really don't eat sweets. That makes sense, but I didn't want to bring some warm food to class, so I thought this looked simple and tasty. However, if my kids were any indication of how the class would react they would need something to wash it down with. So, in a last ditch effort I texted Rebecca this morning to ask what Kirabo's favorite cookie was now that he's in America. Brilliantly Rebecca thought to bring some pineapple juice, which Kirabo loves. And so, just before the presentation we ran and got a few cups and some delicious pineapple juice. After her presentation we placed a sim sim cookie and a cup of pineapple juice at each seat. We'll see what they thought of it once school is over.


 I wanted to add this picture too. It was an exciting morning getting all prepared.





2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love it! So great! When you come visit, Mary has to bring her presentation and give it to us! I'll make the pineapple juice :) You guys are so great. Thanks for all the support you have given to me and our family.

Stacee said...

I had no idea that you were blogging again! I will enjoy staying current with the Idiart/Nadauld adventures. :)