Sunday, February 10, 2013

Lesons from my church calling

I thought I should write a little about my current church calling, Stake Primary Secretary, which I dedicate a lot of my time and energy to each week. Sometimes as I am in the midst of working on stake baptisms, spreadsheets, flyers or ward trainings I can step back and see all the ways in which my calling blesses my life and helps me improve. These are some things that I noticed last night while preparing dinner for our stake and area leaders between the priesthood leadership and adult sessions of stake conference.



1. I am getting quicker at completing tasks. I have always been the type to put off some tasks. While I am still not great. I am getting better and I just roll up my sleeves and get it done, especially in the phone call department. I don't love calling strangers. I just think about it less and do it right away.

2. I am learning to listen better. Our Stake Primary President is so kind and loving. I love working with her and I am learning so much from her. I watch the way she talks and handles people and I admire it all. I listen to her, I watch her, and I try to soak in her goodness and strengths.

3. I have always loved children through out my life. But it seems as though one thought crosses my mind every time I see a child now...in the store, in a classroom, at a park.... "Can they feel God's love through the way I notice them? Smile at them? Interact with them?" I can sense there are children hurting everywhere and I feel such an urgency to show them how special and loved they are, especially at church.

4. I am learning that I have a lot to learn. What I thought I knew from prior callings I am realizing I never really knew. What I thought I was good at before, I recognize I still need to improve on. In essence, I feel more humbled.

5. I realize that in the church we are all doing our best. We all bring our unique talents to the table. And for all that is shared, I feel very very grateful.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

This site is my intake , very great style and design and perfect content .
Essay Help service

Emilee said...

Allison I love that you are posting about your life every day! It's inspiring me to get back at recording my life. Your children are adorable and blessed to have you! I'm currently serving in the stake as the stake nursery leader. We've been sans secretary for 6 months now-- sure wish you lived closer!! Beautiful meal!